Friday, November 27, 2009

My First American Thanksgiving



Being from an Indian background from Canada, Thanksgiving was never a big celebration with my family. Even though I had lived in the States in the past, I always had to work through the holidays and never got the opportunity to participate in the festivities. Since this is the first year that I am able to control my schedule, I took full advantage of this holiday.

My day started early by meeting Shagun so that we can attend the Macy's Thanksgiving Day Parade. It was an early start to my day but it was well worth it. Imagine standing in a crowd of 3 million spectators and everyone is in a joyous mood. Although we weren't standing close enough to see all the floats, the blown up balloons were exciting to see. The experience of the parade gave me a better understanding of this great American holiday.

For those of you ignorant as I am about American history, Thanksgiving was first celebrated as a feast held in the autumn of 1621 by the Pilgrims and the Wampanoag to celebrate the colony's first successful harvest. The first Macy's Day parade was held in 1924 by first generation American store employees that wanted to celebrate Thanksgiving with the type of festival their parents had loved in Europe. To learn more: http://social.macys.com/parade2009/

Only being the two of us I did not make the whole big Thanksgiving dinner. Although V (my husband) was disappointed he understood that a 20lbs bird was not for us. Instead we enjoyed a quiet dinner with the Babjaj family, where Aunty made the perfect turkey breast. I on the other hand spent my afternoon make the side dishes like stuffing. I had never tried stuffing (I know embarrassing) and had no idea on what it tasted like. I made it anyways and hoped for the best.

All in all, I enjoyed this holiday and will celebrate it with my family and friends for years to come. Let's not forget about the shopping on Black Friday. Now that is going to be dangerous for V's credit card!!

No comments:

Post a Comment